Day 7 of Game Design- Further Refinement of Premise
For this class, we focused on 5 things:
- Getting the premise right
- Have a background story of 4 characters
- Moodboard and visual interpretation
- Sketches of 4 characters
- A little breakdown of the gameplay mechanism
This time, we set our premise where Bangalore is a central character. It is a story about the wannabe entrepreneurs in the city who are trying to bring their ideas into reality. We worked with the goal of giving a story and an idea of how to play the game.
We worked on 4 different characters with different backstories. We tried to cover different age groups as it brought out a variety in terms of stories. Each of the characters also had quirks that enabled players to have different playthroughs.
Our mood board was more of an exploration of what are the direction that we could take. It lacked that singular vision that could have helped us narrow down on a design language for the card game. However, it was done consciously as we wanted to explore different ways of presenting our game.
We also had an idea of implementing “Attribute System” from RPG video games such as Fallout and The Outer World. The characters have different numerical values for each attribute which would yield different results for them.
Today’s discussion helped us understand that the background story of our 4 characters was a bit bland. There was a scope for improving them and make them more interesting. We have yet to decide on what sort of visual language that we would like in the game because of which the items in our mood board were all over the place.
So, for next week we have the following objectives:
1) Make the stories of the characters interesting and easy to read.
2) Build a mood board based on the direction we would like to take.
3) Get the sketches of the characters ready.
1) To be able to convey the concept of attributes that were taken from Fallout and The Outer Worlds. This will be done to get an idea about how complex the thing can turn out to be.
2) To read up more about how startups work to be well informed about the topic. This will eventually help us prepare when we start working on the mechanics of the game